Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hot Crab Dip

So the Super Bowl is coming up.  I pretty much don't care this year because two of the teams I hate the most in the NFL are playing each other for one of the spots in this year's Super Bowl.  Patriots?  Hate 'em.  Ravens?  Hate 'em more.  It's a lose-lose situation here in my book.  Am I bitter?  Maybe a little, but as a tried and true Steelers fan, it is my duty to be incredibly unhappy about this.  :(

Anyway, in honor of the upcoming biggest game of the year, you may need some sort of yummy snack to share.  So it's a good time to move over this post from December 2010.  I promise it's worth sharing again.

Today, I ask you to embark with me on a journey into The Betty Crocker Cookbook. (YES, again. I LOVE that cookbook!) Hubby and I are borderline obessed with anything that involves crab. After having tried a few delicious crab dips at restaurants, we were excited to discover that good ol' Betty Crocker had a crab dip recipe ready and waiting for us to try. Before I give you the recipe, I have to tell you that I don't make my crab dip like Betty says I should. *gasp* When Hubby and I first tried this recipe, we were eager to use our Cuisinart Fondue set that I had recieved at my bridal shower. I always use the Fondue pot to make this now. SO I'll tell you how I do that, but I'll also give you Betty's directions for how to bake this yummy dip.

Hot Crab Dip (Courtesy of Betty Crocker....in case you somehow missed that from the intro....)

Ingredients (Oh, you also should know that since Hubby and I are pigs, we double this recipe. SO in regular font, I will list Betty's ingredients. In italics, I will kindly double it for you.)
  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened [2 packages (16 oz)]
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese [1/2 cup]
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing [1/2 cup]
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine or apple juice [1/2 cup (I use apple juice)]
  • 2 teaspoons sugar [4 teaspoons]
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard [2 teaspoons]
  • 4 medium green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup) [I don't usually use 8 green onions. I either keep it at 4 or use what is in the bundle. Today, I had 6.]
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped [2 cloves, but I use garlic powder. According to the garlic powder I use 1/4 tsp. = 1 clove. In other words, I used 1/2 tsp. for my doubled recipe.]
  • 1 can (6 oz) crabmeat, drained cartilage removed and flaked [2 cans (12 oz) You can buy the crabmeat so that it's already flaked with cartilage removed.]
  • 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted [I don't use almonds, or any nuts at all in this dip.]
To make this in a fondue pot, add all ingredients to the fondue pot in the order listed. I set the heat setting on mine to 1 or 2 to soften the cream cheese. Keep the heat settings on until dip is heated through. Serve with crackers, bread, or raw veggies.

To bake like Betty Crocker:
  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. In medium bowl, stir all ingredients except crabmeat and almonds until well blended. Stir in crabmeat.
  3. Spread crabmeat mixture in ungreased 9-inch pie plate or shallow 1-quart casserole. Sprinkle with almonds. IF you're using them, of course.
  4. Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with crackers, bread, or raw veggies.
I'm sure that the texture of the baked dip and the dip made in the fondue pot will be different. Ours is very soft and very creamy, and of course, incredibly yummy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Rebeckann's Random Thoughts | Design Poppiness Designs