Monday, January 21, 2013

It's time for Chili

I was going to post "My Harry Potter Fix: Fashion Edition" link-up post today, but Polyvore is being difficult. I create an outfit, save, and publish, and then it disappears. Can anyone offer some advice?? My first outfit was actually there, and I had it inserted into my post. Then it vanished. It still said it was in my set, and I can click edit and the outfit appears. Weird??

Anway...it's FREEZING here in Pennsylvania.  According to weather.com, it's 20* right now, but we're expected to drop to single digits with -10 windchills over night.  Windchills are expected to be -15 with highs in the single digits during the DAY tomorrow.  Awesome.

In other words, I need to share my Chili recipe with you.  I don't make mine super spicy or anything, but if it's cold where you live, too, this should help to warm you up!

Chili & Corn Bread
  • 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
  • 2 small onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
  • 1 heaping T chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1. Brown beef with garlic and onion over medium heat, drain.

 
2. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the beans.


[ 
 
3. Heat to boiling. Then turn the heat to simmer and add the beans
 
4. Cover and let simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, grab your favorite corn bread recipe or mix and get that ready. I use Jiffy corn bread mix because it's good, and it's super cheap.

I

This one uses a box of the mix, 1 egg, and 1/3 cup of milk. Heat the oven to 400*F. Mix up the ingredients with a spoon. Let sit 3-4 minutes and restir before filling cups. This makes 6-8 regular size muffins. I made minis. :)

Spray the pan with Pam, and then fill each cup. Bake for 12-15 minutes.


I never eat chili without making corn bread. I don't know if this is how everyone eats chili or not. I didn't like chili when I was a kid (or teenager) because I didn't like beans. I had beanless chili once, and I loved it. When I started making it for Scott and me, I thought I could just pick out the beans but....turns out, they're pretty good! :) ANYWAY, in the "pre-crazy Lindsay Lohan" version of The Parent Trap there is mention of chili and corn bread. I think this is where my idea that they go together came from.

Either way, it's delicious!

Enjoy. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Rebeckann's Random Thoughts | Design Poppiness Designs