Monday, July 22, 2013

Book Review: Gilt

I am working my way through my summer reading list (AND running out of time to do it!).  After The Poisonwood Bible, I read Gilt by Katherine Longshore. 


Here is the synopsis from Goodreads.com:
In the court of King Henry VIII, nothing is free--and love comes at the highest price of all. When Kitty Tylney's best friend, Catherine Howard, worms her way into King Henry VIII's heart and brings Kitty to court, she's thrust into a world filled with fabulous gowns, sparkling jewels, and elegant parties. No longer stuck in Cat's shadow, Kitty's now caught between two men--the object of her affection and the object of her desire. But court is also full of secrets, lies, and sordid affairs, and as Kitty witnesses Cat's meteoric rise and fall as queen, she must figure out how to keep being a good friend when the price of telling the truth could literally be her head.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.com. 

In previous posts, I have shared how much I love historical fiction centered around the court of King Henry VIII.  This story is told from Katherine (Kitty) Tylney's point-of-view.  She is a figure mentioned in testimony about Catherine (Cat) Howard.  Longshore takes this character and creates her to be a close friend of the king's 5th wife.  I enjoyed Longshore's writing style, and I loved Kitty's loyalty.  If you love reading about this time period in England and/or historical fiction, this is book is a must!


post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Rebeckann's Random Thoughts | Design Poppiness Designs