Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Book Review: Gregor the Overlander

Something great is going on in the world of Young Adult Fiction.  Seriously, I like these books just as much as "adult" books.  It's also convenient as a 6th Grade teacher.  I'm reading things that my students are reading.

Did you know that Suzanne Collins has not only written The Hunger Games Trilogy??  (Which, you totally should read if you haven't already...)  I was perusing one of my Scholastic Book Orders a few months ago, and I saw a set of books by Suzanne Collins called The Underland Chronicles.  I quickly decided to use my bonus points to get it.  I finished reading the first book in the series a couple of days ago.

via
The books in the series:
1. Gregor the Overlander
2. Gregor and the Prophesy of Bane
3. Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods
4. Gregor and the Marks of Secret
5. Gregor and the Code of Claw

Here are the details from Goodreads.com.

This irresistible first novel tells the story of a quiet boy who embarks on a dangerous quest in order to fulfill his destiny -- and find his father -- in a strange world beneath New York City.

When Gregor falls through a grate in the laundry room of his apartment building, he hurtles into the dark Underland, where spiders, rats, cockroaches coexist uneasily with humans. This world is on the brink of war, and Gregor's arrival is no accident. A prophecy foretells that Gregor has a role to play in the Underland's uncertain future. Gregor wants no part of it -- until he realizes it's the only way to solve the mystery of his father's disappearance. Reluctantly, Gregor embarks on a dangerous adventure that will change both him and the Underland forever.



My rating: 4 of 5 stars

At first, I wasn't sure that I was going to like this book. It's kind of strange, and a little out of my element. The more I read, the more I enjoyed the interesting but dark and exciting world that Suzanne Collins was creating. I found myself drawn into the story with a need to find out what happens. I sympathized with Gregor and his determination to find his father, keep his sister safe, and to return home. 

This book is a great first start to the series, and I'm looking forward to reading the other four books!

View all my reviews

If you're looking for a new series or enjoyed Suzanne Collins' writing in The Hunger Games, I would recommend this book! 

1 comments:

Sarah Alway said...

I LOVE Young Adult Fiction! Seriously it's the best. I come across a lot of it because of my mom, who is a 5th grade teacher. She totally turned me on to the Hunger Games in the beginning, and she also read The Underland Chronicles to her class and said they were really good! They're on my to-read list for sure. Have you read The Maze Runner Trilogy? Another good one... :-)

Post a Comment

 
Content Rebeckann's Random Thoughts | Design Poppiness Designs