Monday, January 2, 2017

December Books


Ah, December.  The last month of the year, and the last chance to finish my goal of 40 books for 2016.  Here's how it turned out:


At the Water's EdgeAt the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I had listened to Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants on Audible, and as I was looking for eBooks to borrow from my local public library, I came across this one. I really loved how the relationships changed and developed throughout the story, and I grew to really love Maddie the more that the story went on.


Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in BetweenTalking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between by Lauren Graham

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I LOVE Lauren Graham. This book was a quick and fun listen. I really enjoyed hearing her perspective about working in on Gilmore Girls, Parenthood, and Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. She tells her story with just the right amount of sarcasm and humor, and I loved it!


The Time Traveler's WifeThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I've been struggling with what I want to read. I just haven't been in the mood for most books. SO I picked up an old favorite. I LOVE this book. I'm a huge fan of time travel stories, and I love the characters of Clare and Henry. This book is always worth another read, and I'm glad I picked it up again.


Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3)Brian's Winter by Gary Paulsen

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


An interesting perspective of how Brian's winter would have gone if he had remained stranded in the Canadian North Woods. I will definitely be recommending this one to my students after they've read Hatchet!



View all my reviews

I did it!  I read 40/40 books in 2016!

Somehow, I've also become a person who doesn't finish books.  It's possibly because of the mood I'm in where I don't know exactly what I want to be reading.  So if something doesn't capture my attention, I'm more willing to stop reading (particularly if it's an audio book from Audible, since they have a great return policy).

Books I didn't finish this month:

Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella 
I will actually go back to this book.  I got it from Audible, and I could not STAND the narrator.  Her voice was bad enough as Becky (this was not the same narrator as the Shopaholic book I "read" last month), but when she altered her voice to speak for Luke, I threw in the towel.  I'll get this book in paper or eBook form.

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
My local library recently connected with other libraries in my area to offer eBooks and audio books for borrowing (as I mentioned in my review about At the Water's Edge).  I thought I'd give this one a go since I loved Gone Girl, but I just couldn't get into it.  I may come back to it in the future, but with the end of the year approaching, I needed books I could get into and read pretty quickly to meet my reading goal!

I've signed up for the Goodreads challenge again for 2017.  This year, I decided it was necessary to cut my goal from 2016 in half.  My goal for 2017 is to read 20 books. I have to be realistic.  I have a baby coming.  In May, my life is going to change drastically, and I really don't know how much time I will have for reading.  I decided that 20 was pretty reasonable.  If I end up doing better than that...great!  But I'd rather play it safe and surpass than to be too ambitious and miss the mark.

What are your reading goals for 2017?  Any book recommendations from 2016?



2 comments:

Kristin said...

I didn't finish Dark Places either.
I loved Mini Shopaholic, but I read the paperback (uh, and I own it).
I liked At the Water's Edge too, but was not a fan, in any way, of Water for Elephants.

Sarah Alway said...

Congratulations on reaching your reading goals this year! 2016 was an epic, epic fail for me... I only read 8 books! I guess that's what happens when your two-hour daily commute changes into nothing... you have no time to read anymore. So sad. I miss it!

Post a Comment

 
Content Rebeckann's Random Thoughts | Design Poppiness Designs