Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Fiesta Soup

Recently, I shared a recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars.  While I was searching for recipes, I came across this soup recipe that sounded absolutely amazing.  I was able to give it a try, and it definitely lived up to my expectations!

Best of all, it's super easy!

It's not the prettiest picture, but I promise, the soup is fabulous!
Fiesta Soup
Ingredients

  • 1/2 c. diced onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can of black beans (15 oz) drained and rinsed
  • 1 can of kidney beans (15 oz) drained and rinsed
  • 1 can diced green chili peppers (4.5 oz)*
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)*
  • 2 1/2 c. low sodium, fat free chicken broth
  • 1 c. frozen corn
  • Juice from 1 lime
  • 1 T. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • sea salt (to taste)
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-2 in. cubes
*Do not drain

Take all of that stuff up there, chop it, open it, drain it, rinse it, measure it, and throw it all in your slow cooker.

Cook on low 6-8 hours.  (I ended up cooking mine for 7.)

1 cup serving: 91 calories, 7.5 g protein
2 cup serving: 181 calories, 15 g protein

The end.

What I like about this recipe:
There are a lot of ingredients, but that doesn't bother me at all since it all gets tossed in the slow cooker, and I don't have to worry about it until it's time to eat.  I will note that I did go out to stir it occasionally, but that was only because I was home, and I felt like it.

It's a slow cooker recipe.  Duh.

The flavor is amazing.  It's kind of similar to chili.

I DIDN'T HAVE TO COOK THE CHICKEN!!  I've mentioned recently that I just seem to have trouble with chicken recipes.  The pieces of chicken are small, and are being cooked for at least 6 hours, so they are cooked in all of that chicken broth and yummy goodness.  The chicken pieces were moist and flavorful, and I didn't feel compelled to pick them out and eat them first to get it out of the way!

What I don't like about this recipe:
The original recipe calls for cilantro.  While I know how much my friend, Kristin, loves cilantro, I'm not a fan.  So I just didn't use it.   

You can find the original recipe here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Rebeckann's Random Thoughts | Design Poppiness Designs