Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Peanut Butter Blossoms

One of my favorite things about Christmas is making Christmas cookies!!  Of course, these cookies can be made any time of the year, but they're just more special when you're making them on a snowy day with Christmas just around the corner!  :)

For those of you who are new around here, please remember, that I'm not creative enough to make recipes of my own!  When I post a recipe, it's just something I've tried in my kitchen.  I note changes I made or things that did/didn't work for me.  I find that it's always nice to hear from someone else any problems that were encountered or adjustments to make things easier.  I also am sure to make sure you know where I found the original recipe.

I found this recipe on a coupon for Crisco products last year.  I didn't need the coupon, but I did need want the recipe! 

Peanut Butter Blossoms
Ingredients


Baking soda not pictured because I am a dummy.  :)

  • 1/2 c. Crisco Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
  • 1/2 c. Jif Creamy Peanut Butter*
  • 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 T milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups Pillsbury BEST All Purpose Flour**
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • sugar
  • Hershey's Kisses
*I ALWAYS buy and use Jif Peanut Butter, but I never buy or use creamy.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE extra crunchy.  Which, by the way, is the only other option.  There's just creamy and extra crunchy.  I don't know why, but I'm ok with that.
**I use whatever store brand generic all-purpose flour I have in my cabinet.  :)

 1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  (The original recipe calls for 375 degrees.  I bake almost everything at 350.) Cream together shortening, peanut butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 c. of sugar.

Before
After
 2. Add egg, milk, and vanilla.  Beat well.
 
 
3. Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt.
 
Before
After
4. Add to creamed mixture.  (Tossing it all over your mixer and counter while adding it to the bowl is totally optional.) 
 
Don't know if you can tell or not, but this is an action shot! :) haha
5.  Beat on low speed until stiff dough forms.
 
 
6.Shape into 1-inch balls.  (I totally don't know what size that would actually be.  Just shape it into a dough ball, and go with it!)
 
 7. Roll in sugar.
 
8. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
 
 
 9. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until golden brown.  (If you go with 375 degrees, you may want to adjust the time to 10 minutes.)
 
I apologize for my lousy baking sheets.  This was my good one.  I only used it for baking cookies.  Then someone's husband made regular food on it....and well, THIS happened.  :-p
10.  Immediately, top each cookie with a Hershey's Kiss.  Be sure to press down firmly to settle the Kiss into the cookie.
 
 
11. Remove from sheets to cool.
 
The recipe says it yields 4 dozen (48) cookies.  I got just over 2 dozen (28 cookies).  I'm guessing my "1 inch" dough balls were too big, but honestly, it's not like they taste any different.  So if you want to get more cookies out of this recipe, just make the dough balls smaller.
 
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Rachel Ross said...

Yum!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe you use!! :)

Sarah Alway said...

Yum! When I was a kid I always used to make peanut butter cookies with my mom, and we did the ones where you criss cross a fork across the top to make a little design... these ones remind me of those a bit! :-)

Post a Comment

 
Content Rebeckann's Random Thoughts | Design Poppiness Designs